Who is this conference for?
The Nature-Based Early Learning Conference brings professionals together to explore and promote nature-based learning for young children. Attendees include teachers, program administrators, higher education faculty, researchers, education consultants, landscape designers, and others who are committed to or interested in bringing nature, outdoor learning, and environmental education to young children’s education. The program focuses on nature-based education for preschoolers (ages 3-5), early elementary students (ages 5-8), and infants and toddlers (ages 0-3). Professionals, parents, and caregivers who are just learning about a nature-based approach to education, or may be interested in starting a nature-based early education program, are welcome.
How do I register?
If you need assistance with registration or need to pay offline, please email [email protected].
What does my registration include?
Your registration for the virtual conference includes access to all plenaries, sessions, and networking events from July 27-30, 2021, and on-demand access to all of the conference sessions for one year after the conference. Registration for the conference is $125.
While our conference fee reflects the true cost of the virtual conference, we understand that these are unprecedented times and that many in our field have been hard hit by the Coronavirus pandemic. We are committed to making the conference accessible to all, so we're offering pay-what-you-can pricing to anyone who needs it; access to on-demand content may be restricted.
How does the pay-what-you-can option work?
With the pay-what-you-can option, enter the amount you can afford on your registration form, with a minimum contribution of $20 to cover the basic costs of registration. Any contribution gives you full access to live sessions and plenaries and access to on-demand content during the week of the event (Monday, July 26, ending at 11:59 pm ET on Sunday, August 2). Contributions over $75 include on-demand access to all conference sessions for one month after the event, until September 1, 2021.
Can I share my registration with my colleagues?
Each attendee must register separately, and registrations cannot be shared. In addition, professional development certificates can only be generated associated with the name on your account. If you are the administrator of a center and would like to register multiple staff members, email [email protected] or call 202-419-0412 for assistance. Programs registering 5 or more participants receive a 25% discount on each registration.
Help us keep the conference secure by not posting or sharing the session links with anyone. All participants should register, log in to the conference website, and view sessions exclusively on session pages.
Can I use on-demand sessions for training purposes?
You are welcome to use on-demand content for training your own staff or program. Any other use of sessions requires permission from Natural Start/NAAEE. Sessions can not be downloaded, shared, sold, or used in any other way without permission from Natural Start/NAAEE and the presenter.
Can I access the conference content after the live event?
Yes! The conference is available for a full year, with 24/7 on-demand access to all sessions--over 100 in all. Your regular conference registration will allow this full access throughout the year. If you are unable to participate in the live event, you can register any time after the conference to access all conference sessions until July 2022.
When will recordings of live sessions be available?
Recordings of live sessions will be available one week after the live event. We will prioritize processing recordings of featured sessions, making them available as soon as possible after they air.
If you register for the conference using the pay-what-you-can option, you may not have access to live session recordings, but you will have full access to on-demand sessions throughout the week.
Are scholarships available?
Everyone is eligible for a scholarship, no questions asked, with our pay-what-you-can pricing. See above for more on the pay-what-you-can option.
What types of sessions will the virtual conference include?
The virtual conference sessions are peer-reviewed and include several session types:
- On-demand sessions: Starting Monday, July 26 the conference platform will be open, and you can start accessing 50+ on-demand sessions on a range of topics in nature-based early education.
- Live sessions: Join presenters and attendees live for interactive sessions, where you can ask questions, chat with attendees and presenters, and more. These sessions are offered concurrently each day from Wednesday July 28 to Friday July 30.
- Featured sessions: Each day, we’ll have a different featured (plenary) session that looks at the conference theme, Thrive, from a different angle. Meet our featured speakers here!
- Poster sessions: Poster sessions feature downloadable content from presenters on specific topics, from research to case studies to curriculum materials. You can access these at any time starting Monday, July 26.
- Networking: There will be opportunities to connect with nature-based professionals in your region during roundtables organized by members of our Regional Network Alliance. We're also working on organizing free-form networking sessions where you can discuss topics that interest you with professionals from around the globe. And to close out the conference, we'll host a virtual happy hour on Friday, July 30. You bring the beverage; we’ll bring the games.
- Half-day workshops: New this year! Dive deeper into topics relevant to nature-based early learning novices and veterans alike in our half-day workshops. Workshops are available as an add-on to your conference registration. Learn more here.
- Virtual site tours: New this year! Tour six unique, high-quality nature-based preschools, both in the US and around the world. Virtual site tours are available as an add-on to your conference registration. Learn more here.
Where can I see the list of sessions?
The full session schedule for the live event is coming soon and will be available at conference.naturalstart.org. It will include information about the live sessions, poster sessions, on-demand sessions, and more.
Can I get a professional development certificate for the sessions that I participate in?
Yes! After you’ve participated in a session, you can download a certificate that indicates the session title and clock-hours for the session. The certificate includes the name associated with your registration account, so be sure to use the name that you want printed on your certificate when you register.
Can I earn graduate credits for participating in the conference?
Yes, graduate credits for participating in the conference (2 credits) are available through Hamline University, and may be used toward a certificate in nature-based early learning or toward a Master's degree in environmental education. Contact Patty Born Selly at [email protected] to learn more.
Are accessibility accommodations available?
Yes! We will be providing captioning for all of our live sessions and we’re working with presenters to ensure that their materials are as accessible as possible. Transcripts are available for most recorded sessions. You can indicate your accessibility needs on the registration form and we will do our very best to accommodate them. Contact us at [email protected] if you have any questions or concerns regarding accessibility.
Will there be opportunities for me to engage with presenters and other conference participants?
Yes! You will have the opportunity to engage with other participants and presenters in roundtable discussions, presenter Q&As, participant chats, and small-group discussions. And we’re planning a happy hour on Friday, July 30 to close the live portion of the conference.
Can I still access the 2020 Conference sessions?
Yes! If you registered for year-long access to the 2020 Conference, you can still view on-demand sessions until July 2021.
There is still time to register for the 2020 Conference, which grants you access to on-demand and poster sessions and recordings of all sessions that aired live during the event. Sessions—over 100 in all—are available whenever you want to watch or re-watch until July 2021. Registration for the 2020 conference is $99.